Jun 12, 2021

Father's Day for woodworker

I had several people ask how I was going to use all that wood grain paper I made with the Tim Holtz Lumber Embossing folder and Distress Sprays ( Instagram post @sdeeringw). I had no idea, nothing really planned for it. Then I remembered Father's Day was coming soon and I needed to make a card for my son. He is an amazing hobby woodworker. So I decided to use the handy man gnome from klmdigitaldesigns.com and one of those wood papers. He really liked them when I showed them to him.
  (Woodgrain paper made with watercolor paper, Tim Holtz 3D Lumber embossing folder. I used all my brown and gray Distress Spray 
stains and  water. A little Distress Oxide in tumbled sage or Frayed burlap makes the wood look more rustic and less like a finished piece of flooring!)
    I colored the gnome with Copics, right down to his salt and pepper beard. I had some strips of paper I had made stenciled woodgrain from. I cut a few of those to make the frame. They were gray paper so I brushed over them with E30 to warm the color up a little. I made the sign to match his logo. There is a long story behind the name. I won't bore you with it. Some of us remember the TV character James West???? Thats a big clue.
    I used some of the sawdust he made and glued it to the card to ground the gnome who is popped up on foam tape. The square "nails" are done with 3 layers of black card stock. I put a little black Gelly Roll glaze pen to give them a little more dimension. I mounted the layer onto a piece of kraft card stock.
     I think it came out pretty good.
Copic color map:
Hat - E42,43,44,47    Skin - E000,E11,BV00
Tools - R27, 37    Shirt- BG93,96,99  
Pants -B91,95,97,99    Boots- Y26, YR24,21
Beard- E79,57, G4,7, B21, White Gelly Roll 05, Black Multiliner    Wood- E30,31     

No comments: